So, it was my roomies birthday, and his favourite cakes are the “mole cake” and the guinness cake I made him last year. I wanted to try something new, so I mixed up both of them and made ahybrid cake: guinnes cake, mole style! It’s not too sweet and pretty good 🙂
ingredients (for a 22cm pan):
- 125 ml Guinness beer
- 100 g butter
- 1 tsp honey
- 40 g cocoa
- 125 g sugar
- 1 sachet (15 g) vanilla sugar
- 75 ml buttermilk (or cream alternatively)
- pinch of salt
- 140 g flour
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 beetroot (mashed)
- 2 bananas
for the cream filling:
- 200 g mascarpone
- 200 g liquid cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- Heat the beer and let the butter melt inside.
- Mix in cocoa and sugar.
- Beat the eggs until foamy and add the buttermilk.
- Add the beer-butter mix, the beetroot puree and the honey and mix.
- Combine flour, salt, vanilla sugar, bicarb and baking powder and add to the liquid mix, fold in.
- Bake in the preheated oven in 180ºC for around 45-50 min.
- Let the cake cool down. With a spoon, scoop out the cake from inside, leave around 1-2 cm at the bottom and leave the sides. Crumble the part you scooped out and keep it seperate.
- For the cream, beat together the mascarpone, cream and icing sugar until stiff.
- Slice bananas and place them on the scooped out cake base. Place the cream on top and sprinkle the cake crumbles all around the cake, a bit more in the centre, to get the “molehill look”. Chill for around 1-2 h before serving.